Kale, Wheatberry Salad with Petit Nuage
By: Anna Thomas Bates
- 1 cup uncooked wheat berries
- 4 bunches kale, stems removed and finely chopped
- ⅔ cup dried cranberries
- 2 medium carrots, small dice
- 1 stalk celery, small dice
- ¾ cup toasted sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- 4 ounces Petit Nuage, crumbled
- ½ cup grapeseed or neutral oil
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 small red onion, minced
Place wheat berries in a pot of salted water--water should be at least an inch above the berries. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 50 minutes or until the berries are soft. Check periodically to make sure water is still covering the berries and add more as needed.
In a large bowl, toss kale, cranberries, carrots, celery and seeds.
In a small jar, add all vinaigrette ingredients and shake well. Add to salad and toss thoroughly. Can be made and chilled several hours before serving, allowing the kale to soften. When ready to serve, top with crumbled Petit Nuage.
« Back to Recipe List