Butternut Squash, Lale and Barley Risotto with Tallgrass Reserve
By: Anna Thomas Bates
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup hulled barley
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 3 cups broth
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
- pinch of salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup Tallgrass Reserve, shredded (half reserved for serving)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add oil to a warm Dutch oven or large oven-proof pot with a lid. Add garlic and thyme, cook until fragrant (about a minute). Add barley and stir with oil until coated. Add wine and cook, stirring until mostly absorbed. Add squash and broth. Bring to a boil, stir in kale, salt and pepper.
Cover and place dish in oven. Bake until barley is tender and liquid is mostly absorbed, about 30 minutes. Stir in ½ cup Tallgrass Reserve. Sprinkle remaining cheese over serving plates.
« Back to Recipe List