LaBelle Fenugreek cheese Soup
By: Koepke Family Farms/LaBelle Cheese
• 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
• 5 ounces fine minced onion (approximately 1 cup)
• 1/2 teaspoon salt for sweating onions, plus more to taste at end of cooking
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 quart chicken broth, heated to a simmer
• 1 bay leaf
• 1/2 cup heavy cream
• 12 ounces LaBelle fenugreek cheese, shredded
• 1 tablespoon maple syrup
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Melt butter in large heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and salt. Sweat for 5 to 10 minutes or until the onion begins to soften, stirring occasionally.
Sift the flour over the onion and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually add the chicken stock and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and add the bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
Turn off the heat, stir in the heavy cream. Gradually add the cheese, one small handful at a time, and stir until melted before adding next handful. Stir in the maple syrup, Worcestershire sauce and black pepper. Taste and add additional salt if desired. If soup is not hot enough, return to a low heat until warmed through.
Serve with toasted, seasoned croutons on top.
Serving size: four soup bowls, or six smaller cups.
« Back to Recipe List